There’s a meme going around, most recently seen by me over at 50 Books in which you share your first time orderiing at Amazon. I looked it up and my first order was from June 1997 – back when you got free mugs from them at Christmas and free bookmarks in your orders – for a set of five books:
- 60 Crocheted Snowflakes, which I still use every year to make new thread snowflakes for the tree
- The Harmony Guide to Crocheting, the absolute best guide to crochet and its various stitches and techniques I’ve found
- Audubon Birds in Cross Stitch, a purchase born out of excessive optimism in my then-budding interest in cross stitch
- The Difference: Discovering the Hidden Ways We Silence Girls, a good discussion of the topic, if a bit of a retread of Mary Pipher’s themes
- Wired Women: Gender and New Realities in Cyberspace, which is a nice blend of the scholarly and the personal anecdote, though I’m sure on re-reading it I would find it somewhat dated at this point
I appreciate that Amazon bothers to keep a list of all previous orders available on their site so you can look up stuff like this…..